On the 5th July 2020 the Department for Education (DfE) confirmed that the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding will continue at £320 million for the 2020/21 academic year.
Importantly, the DfE has also sanctioned any Primary PE and Sport Premium funding from the current academic year (2019-20), that schools were unable to use, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, can be carried forward to utilise in the next academic year.
The Premium is designed to help children get an active start in life, supporting primary schools to improve the quality of their PE and sport provision so that pupils experience the benefits of regular exercise – from becoming healthier both mentally and physically to improved behaviour and better academic achievement. The funding is a ring-fenced grant for English primary schools to provide additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE, sport and physical activity.
Allocations to schools are determined by a formula based on pupil numbers. The average one form entry primary school will receive roughly £18,000 per year.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- supporting extra curricular activities such as residential trips
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools
For further information on Sports premium please follow the link below:
Reviewed Evidencing the Impact of Sports Premium 2021-22
Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium 2020-21